A crumpled piece of binder paper on a table…
The couple were seated in the window of the downtown coffee shop. They both looked as nervous as a couple of a first date.
She was sitting up straight in the chair, smiling – in a strained, artificial manner. He, too was sitting erect. However, he was playing with the salt and pepper shakers – lightly pushing them left and right – avoiding eye contact.
She took a piece of paper out of her purse and explained something, and handed him the paper. He slowly took the paper, unfolded it and studied it. She stared – waiting for a reaction.
The man studied the paper and a smile crossed his face. He began to laugh. She looked confused. He pulled a piece paper out of his jacket pocket and handed it to her. Seeming perplexed,she scanned the paper. She laughed and crumpled the paper into a ball. They both were laughing loudly as they left the coffee shop.
After they left, the other woman in the restaurant and I exchanged a look. I got up to retrieve the wad of paper. Here is what it said:
Top 10 Questions for a First Date
- How does love and affection play a role in your life?
- What is your favorite and most treasured memory?
- What’s one thing you’ve done, but will never do again?
- Who’s your best friend?
- . Who do you think knows you the best?
- How often do you talk with your parents?
- Name one of your biggest fears.
- Are you employed? Where?
- What do you value the most in a friendship?
- Do you think your childhood was happy or sad?
Never underestimate the power of questions.